Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fall Fun

Fall is here in full swing.  The leaves are displaying in the beautiful colors only autumn can produce.

With Halloween quickly approaching, we went out and got our pumpkins to decorate today.  We chose to purchase our pumpkins from a youth fund raiser at a local church. 

With two toddlers I determined that doing something other than carving them would be more meaningful for my boys.  My first thought was paint but then I quickly realized if I purchased water based paint (for easier clean up) the paint would likely be ruined by October 31st if there was any rain. 

In an effort to allow my children maximum creativity for our project, I purchased some glow in the dark transfers.  The transfers were touted to be easy for kids to apply.  The application of the transfers were similar to applying temporary tattoos.  Cut the picture you want, peel off the plastic cover, place on the pumpkin face down and press with a wet rag or sponge.

The instructions were simple enough and in concept they were extremely easy.  In practice, transferring these pictures to the pumpkins was much more difficult than I was led to believe.

The pictures did not stick to the pumpkins very well - and what did stick was very wrinkled and distorted.  My kiddos had a blast selecting their decorations for the pumpkins but were upset that they came out "broken" on the pumpkins.  Despite the difficulty our pumpkins look scary and for Halloween, that was our ultimate goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment