Sunday, January 20, 2013

Word to the Wise

How many times have you been out with your children and distracted.  Distracted by one child yelling while the other is running away from you...

Not that your children generally misbehave but they are curious and adventurous - I completely understand and have been there many, many times.

The other day I was on my lunch break and unfortunately someone stole my wallet.  My driver's lisence, my credit cards, my health insurance cards, keepsakes...all gone in just moments.  Fortunately we are not responsible for the $4,000 the theives racked up in merely 45 minutes.  And it is fortuitous that my credit card company called me and we were able to shut all my cards down.

This experience was frustrating and overwhelming and this happened while I was not particularly distracted while I was dining.  As I have reflected on this experience over the past few days I have thought about how lucky I have been in the past.

There have been many occasions where I have been out with my children towing a diaper bag, purse - the children running in two different directions - distracted beyond belief and I have never been robbed.

I realize this could have happened to me any time or any where but I can't help feeling I should have been able to prevent this theft.  What I now realize is that I should recognize this as an opportunity.  I now have the opportunity to take greater precautions for the safety of my posessions, especially when I am out.  I also recognize this as an opportunity to scale back on what I carry around with me approaching things from a more minimalist perspective.

Take heed and consider minimalizing the things you "tow around".  And above all, keep yourself and your children safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment