Friday, July 20, 2012

Sacrifices

Sacrifices are part of parenting and I would argue part of good parenting.  Many women sacrifice small pieces of themselves for the betterment of their families.

According to an article from the University of California (Women Sacrifice Sleep to Juggle Family and Work), the majority of American women are sleep deprived.  In an effort to fulfill all their responsibilities - work, family, relationships, etc - women begin sacrificing sleep to meet all the demands placed on their time and energy.  The sleep deprivation can also be compounded by biological changes - pregnancy, menopause, etc - that can sometimes contribute to sleeplessness. 

I would agree there are few working women in America who do not routinely sacrifice sleep to keep their children, spouses, careers, etc. on track.  Personally, when I need more hours in a day the first thing I do is stay up a little later and set the alarm a little earlier.  Then when I am in need of some recharging the following day, I pop open a can of diet coke to get some caffeine.

While sleep is a huge sacrifice that can have serious and often noticeable side effects (outlined in the article), how many sacrifices do working moms make daily that are completely overlooked?

Here are a few sacrifices that I make routinely for the betterment of my family:
  • Sharing my dinner plate with grubby hands
  • Giving the last piece of my favorite dessert to see a smile on the face of my preschooler
  • Showering  more quickly to tend to a baby who woke up earlier than expected
  • Skipping breakfast in an effort to make up the time "lost" changing simultaneous poopy diapers
  • Buying generic rather than name brand so I can get a toy that I know will make my child's day
I know I'm not the only mom who would do anything for the betterment of their families.  What sacrifices do you make that are often overlooked?  Let's celebrate the sacrifices we make together by jotting them down.  I'd love to read your thoughts - comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment