Saturday, September 8, 2012

Cheaper Lunchables

My son enjoys lunchables.  What's not to enjoy - cubed meat and cheese, crackers all in the convenience of a small package.

There are a few things I don't like about lunchables - the price, the freshness of the food and the variety.

I have found an easy, fresher and more flexible way to prepare lunchables that is much easier on my wallet.

Here is what I do:
  1. Stock up on zip lock bags
  2. Go to my favorite deli
  3. Request thick slices of any kind of meat and cheese (tell them you are going to cube the meat and cheese - you will want it to be approximately 3/4 of an inch thick)
  4. Cut meat and cheese into cubes
  5. Depending on the appetite of your child, place some cubes of each of the meats and cheeses into a zip lock bag
I like to purchase enough meat and cheese to make several lunchables at one time.  After they are made, I place the zip lock bags into a larger freezer bag together and place in the freezer. 

When I need to pack a lunch, I pull a pre-made lunchable out of the freezer, package up some Ritz crackers and voila - quick, healthier, and less expensive lunch for my child.  I can also keep it interesting for my child by getting a various meats and cheese.

The great thing about freezing the meat and cheese is that it thaws in the morning and by lunch time it's unfrozen yet still cold.

I encourage you to try this if you children enjoy lunchables.  The prep is simple and the results are phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment