Saturday, September 15, 2012

Conflicting Information

Have you ever noticed that the dos and don'ts of pregnancy differ depending on the doctor you see or practice you visit?

I went to two different medical practices for each of my pregnancies and quickly discovered there were many differences in the two. 

At one practice I was told not to (under any circumstance) take anything with a decongestant in it during my pregnancy.  At another practice I was told that decongestant was fine to take.  As I discussed my pregnancies with friends I would learn other differences in practices.

As I have mentioned before, I Google everything when I need more information - so if there was a discrepancy I would Google it.  I was never able to find conclusive answers - for as many sites I located that said the same thing as my doctor; I found as many sites that said the opposite of my doctor.

 I have found the same to be true with pediatricians. 

Some people follow their doctor's guidance to the letter.  Other people push the envelope and do what they want regardless of their doctor's advice. 

I am not the type of person to just blindly follow anyone's advice - so I would Google the seemingly conflicting guidance and try to come to a happy medium between the conflicting advice. 

How is it that medicine is a science but it seems there is no conclusive right or wrong? 

I don't know the answer to that question but I do your due diligence as a patient and research your options before taking one medical professional's advice over another...and when in doubt, follow your gut - because you know what is best for your health and the health of your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment