Saturday, September 1, 2012

Manners

When my eldest was born, I signed up for weekly emails about his development.  At 52 weeks, the emails reduced in frequency to monthly.  Mostly these emails are helpful - it's fun to see the progress your child is making.

Today my eldest is 33 months old and I still get monthly emails.  This past month the email focused on teaching your child manners.  This email told me that "now is the time to start teaching your child manners". 

What!?

My child is nearly 3 years old and now I should START teaching manners...

Maybe it's just me but I have always believed in treating my children how I would want to be treated.  Part of treating my children the way I would want to be treated is saying please and thank you during our routine interactions.  I would never interact with another adult without utilizing good manners so why would I turn off my manners when I am interacting with my children.

As a result my 33 month old uses please and thank you and generally utilizes good manners.  While I am not implying that my eldest always uses good manners - what I am implying is that by modeling good manners when I talk with my children STARTed teaching them good manners at birth.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment