Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Best of Intentions

We've all received parenting advice from various sources...the national news, local news, magazines, friends, family, strangers we encounter - some of the advice is valuable, other advice is complete fabrication, and other advice is of sound theory but little practical application.

I recently read an article that urges parents to not allow children under 3 years old to watch television, stare at computer screens, or use electronics.  This is a prime example of advice that is of very sound theory but for me has very little practical application. 

Let me first say, I am not an advocate for sitting your child (no matter what age) in front of the television or other electronic item and relying on them to entertain and occupy your child.  However, I also know that there are times when it's necessary to rely on electronics to help manage your children.

Shortly after giving birth to my first son I recall someone telling me it was important to nurse my child without televisions, radios and other distractions.  Honestly, with four dogs and a cat, I was less than successful in eliminating all distractions when nursing him.

Then I had my second child 22 months after my oldest was born.  I found it incredibly difficult to keep my oldest entertained while nursing my second child - enter electronics into part of our daily entertainment.  Not to mention, I would be hard pressed to think of a time when I nursed my second son that had no distractions.

In practice, if you only had one child I would argue that it is possible to not let your child watch television or utilize electronics prior to age 3.  However I suspect that even with only one child this feat would be nearly impossible. 

So what do you do when you are torn between what the "experts" are telling you and the reality of your situation?  While there is no right answer to this question, I recommend listening to your instincts.  If your instincts tell you something won't irreparably scar you or your children, then proceed.  Even the best parents aren't perfect - sometimes we just have to do the best we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment