Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Lesson I Should Have Learned

If you are like me you take digital photos - utilizing your phone and camera.  Perhaps my parents instilled in me the value of having photos as a sentimental reminder of the past, or perhaps I just want to try to capture the beauty that surrounds me in photos.  Either way, if you are like me many of the photos I take never make it to print.  Rather, most of the photos live electronically on my computer and external hard drive.

A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine lost many of her beloved photos because her computer was stolen when home was broken into.  She was heartbroken at losing the photos but was able to re-collect some of her child's first year because she had emailed some of them and uploaded others for printing - definitely not the same but at least it was something...

Shortly after that situation I began backing my photos up onto an external hard drive and a USB drive - placing them in different locations in the event that my computer was stolen.

Fast forward to earlier this week - I was attempting to gather some photos for a Christmas present and my drive crashed!  To my utter dismay, I had not kept current with both of my back up systems and I had only uploaded all the photos I took in 2012 to my external hard drive.  The hard drive would not work no matter what I did and I feared most of 2012 - photographically speaking - was lost!

After calling some computer businesses, I ended up spending a small fortune and was fortunate that all my photos were recovered!  That was a relief - but I have now vowed to have not only hard drive and USB backups but also an online backup of my pictures...

A simple search on google for online photo storage brings up several options for online backup programs.  I ended up going with a program called Drop Box.  It's an online document storage system that my husband uses for his business.  Since he already has a relationship with them - that system seemed the best for us.

If you are the type of person who enjoys looking at copies of your photos (rather than printing photos) I highly recommend looking into online storage so you can have peace of mind.  Know that a computer is just a thing that can be replaced but online sphoto storage will be there for you even if the unforseen such as a situations and you won't lose your photos alltogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment